Source: Beef Farmers of Ontario
The objectives of the project are to determine:
- the effects of varying rest stop duration (including no rest stop) and time in transport, on calf health and welfare;
- the effects of calf source (single source ranch vs commingled auction market) on the welfare of weaned calves transported and rested for the same duration and under the same conditions;
- the effects of rest stop condition (pen size and density, bedding type and amount, feed/er and water trough type and dimensions) on calf welfare.
Project deliverables include the development of:
- Best management practices for rest stop durations based on transport times;
- Optimal conditions (bedding, space, feed, and water) for calves at the rest stop;
- Best rest stop management strategies based on the source of cattle (auction vs ranch derived);
- Science-based information for updating the transportation codes of practice.
Completion date: 2022